Monday, January 08, 2007

Dont allow Google Desktop downloads in corporate networks


Avoid Google desktop downloads in corporate networks


In my last post on Google Desktop security,I had mentioned that corporates should go on a security witchhunt against recognized brandnames such as Google and instead focus on small antivirus and antispyware players.



My views on Google Desktop security were absolutely wrong :-)



I was wrong about the security implications of Google Desktop in a corporate network.
I would of course blame the holiday season for my niceness towards Google Desktop security hazards - The other reason for my good words for Google Desktop security could be the nice friends from Google whom I met last week :-)



Google Desktop security - you gotta watch out


I had a meeting with a Fortune 50 corporate security honcho this week, and he convinced me that Google Desktop was one of the biggest security risks to hit the market,simply because of the popularity of Google Desktop downloads. Again,why should a so-called desktop application have to communicate with home base so often? Imagine your entire corporate network being compromised by an external competitor- thats the security risk that Google desktop entails



In summary, watch out for the security risks in allowing Google Desktop to be downloaded in your company.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home